Quote

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."
—Albus Dumbedore

Thursday, December 1, 2011

What I Would Tell My Fat Self


A popular blog that I subscribe to, Nerd Fitness, posted a new blog today.  I love this guy.  Steve brings humor and nerdiness to helping us nerds become our best.  If you were a fan of the original Atari 2600 (PacMac Man, Space Invaders, Pitfall) you'd love his blog.  When you are stuck in traffic, do you wish you could use the Force to move all those cars out of your way?  You'd love his blog.  Do you love Legos?  You'd love his graphics he uses in his postings.

I'm even one of his Rebels.  I'm the guy on top of Mount Washington.

Today's posting was about the 11 things he wish he knew before he started his journey to a healthier lifestyle.  He goes in detail about each of the 11 things.  I strongly suggest you go there and read it.  Here they are.  For those of us still on our journey, which ones hit a nerve with you?

1. Diet is the most important thing.
2. Be careful where you get your advice.
3. Machines are the devil.
4. More is not always better.
5. Warm up before, stretch after.
6. If it's not fun, don't do it.
7. Your plan doesn't need to be perfect, but you need one.
8. You don't need a gym to build muscle.
9. One day off doesn't kill you.
10. Be patient people.
AND...
11. Have a purpose and goals.


I wish I had this list when I commenced my journey to a healthier me.  I knew that my diet was horrible and exercise was nonexistent in my life.  Ask any of my friends or family members and they would tell you that exercising was just not part of life.    I was even in danger of failing gym in high school!


In the past I joined a gym, but it didn't do anything for me.  I was too distracted with all the people there. Just never got anything done when I went.  The gym scene just didn't work for me.  I had to find my own fitness niche.


From attending many Weight Watcher meetings, I think many people forget about #10.  People would get so upset that they only lost .5 or 1 pound that week.  It took us several years to get to our size so why wouldn't us take just as long to take it off?  When I was losing my weight, I was ecstatic if I lost a pound a week.  Most of the time I lost .2 to .5 pounds a week.  Be patient.  Just put one foot in front of the other and soon you'll be on your way.

If I had to add to the list, I would say "Be sure to use a combination of cardio and muscle building activities during your journey".  During my journey, I lost all of my weight through walking and jogging both outside and on the treadmill.  I lost the weight, but I had no muscle definition.  You have to use a combination of the two in your exercise routine.


Did anything on Steve's list allow you to open your eyes a little wider to your journey?   If you are at the end of your journey, what could you add to the list?

Peace,
Mark

6 comments:

  1. Very true about doing muscle building activity! I didn't believe it until I starting using the nautilus machines a couple years ago and saw great results! Now, I am only using the treadmill at home while the twins nap. Eventually, I hope to get back to the gym to use those machines again. Another plus with muscle building activities is that it can help prevent injuries. :) I am starting my journey again so I have nothing to add...but I am going to keep those 10 tips in mind! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good blog Mark. However the nerd in me has to correct you and say that those games were on the atari 2600. But you are correct in saying that it takes time to lose the weight. For myself not realizing that there is no magic in losing weight quickly has caused some serious roadblocks for myself. But luckily I can see what you have done and inspire myself to reach my goals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's right Paul. It was the Atari. Silly me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok...thought about it! Here is what I would add:
    1) Water...drink lots!
    2) Cut the diet soda (my hardest thing to do!)
    3) When you achieve a weight lose/exercise goal, don't reward yourself with food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul - just remember any loss is a mini-victory towards a better you. It'll take time but once you get your eye on that goal just keep going towards it.

    AM- Love the additional thoughts. Drinking lots of water just just not my forte but people say they have seen a major difference in weight loss when you do drink more. I use to reward myself whenever I lost 5 pounds. It was always a materialistic item and not food.

    ReplyDelete